View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Jun 2018

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Just got my CFA charter, what is my chance in Toronto? 

space
I just received my CFA charter recently. I would like to know what is my chance of landing a job within the portfolio management area in Toronto. I have 4 years of investment experience mainly on the research and investment management in Asia. I do not have much canadian work experience. I am planning to move back to Toronto and eventually would like to start a family. I do not mind taking up an entry level position at a reputable organization.
Do I stand a chance? Is 3 to 6 month enough for me to seek for a job in Toronto? Appreciate if I could get some inputs from those who live in Toronto/Canada.
Thanks.

17 Mar 2013
space

space
hmm. why so many questions about CFA in TO? There are lots of threads on this forum about the job prospects for a CFA in TO. Why don’t you look up some older threats on this, CFAmultiple7? This question has been asked a lot of times. And I still wonder, what’s so special about TO for a CFA???

17 Mar 2013
space

space
putting the weather aside, TO is one of the best places to live and have a family… that’s why…

17 Mar 2013
space

space
I guess because it’s a large city in Canada and Canadians are obsessed with the CFA for some reason.

17 Mar 2013
space

space
Toronto has the highest CFA per capita. The amount of finance professionals with MBAs/CAs/CFAs/PhDs/etc… (and combos of the above) is highly over-supplied compared to the good financial positions.

17 Mar 2013
space

space
CFAsevens, even the weather is okay in TO. Seriously, I only noticed that TO is very often the subject to exactly your question and all positives considered, TO is still not the same as say, Hawaii, LA, NY, or the Bermudas. I was just wondering if there is something else to TO that I wasn’t aware of.

17 Mar 2013
space

space
lower crime rate, good healthcare, cheap grocery, plenty of space, and etc. etc…

17 Mar 2013
space

space
im currently working in singapore. The rental has gone up by multiple folds. On average, a 1 bedroom apartment will cost around 3k a month. It’s ridiculously high relatively to the disposable income. The average disposable income to rental of a bachelor apartment ratio is about 1.6x at the moment. In Toronto, I think the ratio would be around 2.5x even you have a back office job.
Career prospect might not be as good, but the quality of life is definitely better in Toronto.

17 Mar 2013
space

space
I am all with you, cfa7777. I know Toronto quite well, although I havn’t been there in awhile. And I agree with you in all points about the quality of life up there. Actually, I would consider moving to TO myself if I wasn’t scared away by this oversupply of financial grey matter over there.
Personally, I think Canada is one of the best places in the world to live, but within Canada I would choose Vancouver as the place to live. If I could afford it, that is.

17 Mar 2013
space

space
Im in the mist of deciding between a life and a career… I do not mind giving up a better career for a better lifestyle… just tat I do not wish to end up doing admin work back in TO… If so, getting CFA would be quite meaningless…

17 Mar 2013
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next