Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Limit Orders vs Stop Orders 

space
Question 2 of the Schweser self test equity section:
Summary- Adam owns 100 shares
- Brown is short 200 shares
- Shares currently trading at $86
- Adams want to buy 100 more shares if the price rises to $90
- Brown wants to cover his short position and take profits if price falls to $75
Adams Brown
A. Limit buy @ 90 Limit buy @ 75
B. Limit buy @ 90 Stop buy @ 75
C. Stop buy @ 90 Limit buy @ 75
The answer is C and I categorized Adam’s order at “limit buy @ 90” rather than “limit stop buy @ 90”. My understanding is that stop orders were paced to limit losses and since Adam has a long position, he will not have any losses if the price rises $4. My only thought on the reasoning is that in most cases a limit buy order is placed if the price falls below a certain value while in this case he wants to buy if the price rises. So given this unusual request order it should be looked at like someone with a short position who wants to limit the losses if the price rises to $90.
Any thoughts?

16 Mar 2013
space

space
I think the correct answer is B

16 Mar 2013
space

space
A limit order is an order to buy (or sell) at a specific price, but the price has to be lower (higher) or equal to the limit price.
A stop order is an to buy (or sell) at a specific price, here the price has to be higher (lower) than the stop price. Once the stop price is reached the order becomes a market order.
http://www.mataf.net/forums/difference- ... t7475.html

16 Mar 2013
space

space
I think there is something missing here or a typo in the question.
why should adam wait for the price to go up to $90 before he buys. Note the current price is $86. I don’t understand the question anyway. Here’s what I know;
A stop buy orders are placed by an investor in a short position to protect himself from losses in case the stock price begins to increase. Adams can only use this if he is in short position.
Brown is good with a limit buy order which allows him to buy shares back at $75 in order to profit from the short sale transaction.

16 Mar 2013
space

space
Yes, the answer is C. I have made a video for this, please take a look:
http://minute-class.com/finance/limit-a ... nd-examp...
By definition, a limit order is to buy (sell) a stock when the price is below (above) a certain price. This is to “limit the cost” and maximize the gain.
A stop order is to buy (sell) a stock when the price is above (below) a certain price. This is to stop the loss and minimize the loss.
Note that the types of orders have nothing to do with their current positions.

16 Mar 2013
space

space
Just my quick hint to remember how to distinguish between them is to understand that stop buy order = limit sell order and limit buy order = stop sell order :D

25 Nov 2016
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]