View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Feb 2018

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Effective Strategy to pass Level 1 

space
Best way to pass Level 1…..
Put the time in on a regular basis. Know the material!!!! There are no shortcuts.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
I swear by CFAI texts. Whatever is in CFAI (except the optional fields as indicated) is game. So if Schweser is condensed, it can’ t possibly cover everything CFAI covers. And I like CFAI (well not like but prefer) because it gives a lot of examples which helps me understand the stuff.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
Yeah, I am reading Vol. 1 the Quant section right now…it’s just…too much…has too much details.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
I also passed all sections with 70%. I have full-time job (with 1.5 hours commuting to New York everyday) and 2 kids (1 just 4 months old now when I started preparation), so I had to make maximum impact in minimum time). For me the following were the keys to success:
1. Started preparing in mid January. Read Schxxxr’s notes everyday in train or bus. Solve all the questions given at the end of chapter.
2. Whenever something is not clear in Schxxxr(happened in derivatives and bonds for me), read it from CFA books.
3. After I completed reading Schxxxr once (sometime in April), I remembered very little of it. So I read all the books once again. Second time I was able to retain most of it.
4. In April-May, my wife advised me to go and study in library. That was the best thing I ever did! I read in library for 1.5-2 hours everyday for the last 2 months.
5. Gave all the tests in Schxxxr book 1 and timed myself. Reviewed all my answers patiently.
6. Sometimes I took printouts of tests at work for 30 min tests and took them in lunchtime, sitting in Battery Park etc.
7. Did not even touch books or notes during the CFA exam lunch time. Just relaxed.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
Memorize Memorize Memorize…none of the material is that complicated.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
Here is how you pass. Read all of Schweser cover to cover twice. Highlights area which are tricky/unfamiliar to you.
Do end of the section questions to reinforce information.
After you do this reread the highlighted information. Memorize all formulas. Leave at least 1 month to do all the practice questions in Qbank and the mocks.
Memorize ethics, I only read Schweser and got 70 so it is very doable. Good luck!

31 Mar 2013
space

space
Hi friends,
I am a regular visitor of this site and I think this site gives a good boost for a fresh L1 candidate like me. I have no finance or economics background. I have read the tips given by you. Is there anyone in this group who have come in with no finance and ecomics background. If so can you tell me how did you build your basics before you get into details. Did u refer to some other books or websites etc. I’m earnestly trying to build a solid base for my further studies.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
L1 is very basic and form basis for L2 which is real stuff.

31 Mar 2013
space

space
Hey, this is great stuff. IM just about to register for the 2009 June L1 exam as my employer is willing to pay for the study! From the forum, it appears that the trick is with the Sch***r notes and the CFA1 notes. Good luck guys….By the way, im in Manchester UK?,any guys here thinking of the same?

31 Mar 2013
space

space
Is there anyone out here from Abu Dhabi. I am looking for someone in Abu Dhabi to join me in my studies.

31 Mar 2013
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next