View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Feb 2018

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dividends received under equity method 

space
Just wanted to clarify a few points about the equity method.
Say I own a quarter of some company A. Their net income is 40 and dividends paid is 10.
How are those dividends treated under the Income statement? I know I normally report a quarter of their net income. In this case I would also deduct a quarter of the dividend to arrive at the correct amount to put on the income statement? Which in this case is 7.5
Thanks

25 Jun 2015
space

space
Under the equity method you do not report dividends received on the income statement; they merely reduce the investment in the subsidiary on the balance sheet.

25 Jun 2015
space

space
Thanks. So in my example the net income for my company would increase by 10?

25 Jun 2015
space

space
Yes, you should report in the income statement an income of $ 10 ($40/4) following the Equity method. Dividends are not considered.
Dividends are only considered in the income statements for Financial Assets (AFS, TFV).

25 Jun 2015
space

space
How will the parent balance sheet balance? It will record $10 in its income statement and (let’s assume the parent itself pays no dividend for the sake of simplicity) this will go to retained earnings and increase equity by $10. On the asset side of the BS though it will report $10-dividend of $2.5= $7.5 (again for the sake of simplicity assuming BV of the investee net assets= FV at the time of the acquisition, so no addl depreciation etc). Any thoughts?

25 Jun 2015
space

space
ugh of course dividend received also increases the cash of the parent by $2.5… so it balances. It’s getting to me :|

25 Jun 2015
space

space
There are many students struggling to write their essays, The essay writing service usa offers the best guidance for such students in cheapest price.

29 Jul 2015
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]