View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 Aug 2018

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Question About CFA Mocks 

space
Hello,
This probably sounds weird to most people, but I like to go through mocks by doing a vignette, and then reviewing the answers right after. After I’ve done that, I’ll move on to the next vignette.
Is there a way to do this with the CFA mock, or am I only able to see the answers after having completed the entire thing?
Thanks

07 Jul 2015
space

space
There’s a PDF version on the website with answers too but you have to take the test and grade it yourself. I also do the same. I do one vignette then move on to the answers and then another vignette, etc… I think I can cover more ground especially when I get immediate feedback. I’ll worry about the actual timing on exam day.

07 Jul 2015
space

space
If you’re going to do this, I recommend supplementing it with a timed, 3 hr mock (debrief it when you’re done with the 3 hrs) at least 3x before June 6. What you’re doing is vignette practice, not a mock exam. Both have value but missing out on timed mocks is a huge risk.

07 Jul 2015
space

space
Thanks guys! I agree that it would be pretty dumb to go into the real thing without doing an entire timed mock. I haven’t done one yet…

07 Jul 2015
space

space
I think whatever works should be fine. I’m focused on concept understanding and don’t have a 3 hour block to take a practice mock given my schedule. As long as you can pace yourself, you should be fine. It is recommended that you allocate 18 minutes per vignette and based on my experience from the CFA mocks, I have been spending 10-15 minutes. I also recognized (if the CFA mocks are any indication of the actual exam) that most questions don’t involve long-winded calculations, some of which are basically just conceptual. You can knock out these in less than 30 seconds.
My strategy is to actually to jump to the sections that I can grab points (Ethics, Quant, Fixed Income, Portfolio Management) then work my way to the ones I have difficulty with.

07 Jul 2015
space

space
Bsv, I appreciate that your schedule may be completely jammed, but I think you should definitely attempt at least one 3 hour mock before the exam (in the middle of the night, if your schedule doesn’t permit otherwise). Pacing and stamina are factors, would you attempt to run a marathon having trained with only a suite of 3-mile runs?

07 Jul 2015
space

space
I do the mocks the same as you for now, at least doing it this way you’re finding out what you got wrong and reviewing the answers while its fresh in your mind. You can still time yourself 18 minutes per item set. Then in the final week you can do a fully timed mock under exam conditions and see the answers at the end

07 Jul 2015
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]