View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 May 2018

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Novus Learning DC 

space
Anybody in DC area ever used novus learning for level 3 (or any level) as a prep course for CFA?

14 Mar 2013
space

space
no, but I used to be in DC crabb cake, never heard of these cats.

14 Mar 2013
space

space
This I believe is a relatively new group who were at the exam hall last June providing information about their services…
Not sure how good they are, and if they really are as good as they claim they are. They do seem to be pretty expensive…

14 Mar 2013
space

space
CPPPPPP!!!! Wheeedddduppp???? Nice to see you up here on the Level 3 boards. Git r done!

14 Mar 2013
space

space
anybody else?
they have a 16 week classroom based course. looks pretty good. its held very close to where i work and would be easy. think it would set some structure to my study schedule. i’m thinking of doing this as an alternative to buying schweser notes and just using the course materials plus cfa books? any body ever take a class? good experience?

14 Mar 2013
space

space
they are NEW…. so you will be the first to take their classes.

14 Mar 2013
space

space
they are NEW just like Crabb who is trying to pump them for some reason, coincidence? me thinks not

14 Mar 2013
space

space
I have used Novus Learning for one-on-one tutoring, and I thought it was great. My tutor was Svetlana, who is the founder of the company, so that might have accounted for my positive experience. She has an MBA from Wharton and passed all three CFA levels on the first try. With her help, I passed CFA level 1 in 2012, level 2 in 2013, and level 3 in 2014.

She originally tutored me in person (I live in Bethesda, Maryland), but then we started meeting online because she moved to Massachusetts to attend Harvard. She uses AdobeConnect and FaceTime software for online tutoring, and that worked out great - just as good as meeting in person, and without having to leave my office. I think she is back in Washington DC area now, but it doesn't really matter since she can tutor online from anywhere.

I have some financial and economics background, but I still found the CFA exams hard because of the sheer volume of the material. I mostly needed tutoring because I am the kind of person who cannot find the time to sit down and focus on studying on my own (I am a bit ADD). I bought the CFA books, and then procrastinated for several months before I started reading them. And even then, they often put me to sleep.

Then I started working with Svetlana, and it helped a lot because she put together a schedule of what we were going to cover each week. She broke it down into digestible pieces, and kept track of my progress each week, which motivated me to get each week's reading done, even if it was at the last minute before the tutoring sessions.

Svetlana focuses on the multiple-choice questions, which I liked because it's great practice for the exam, and more interactive than lecturing. She also has more simple explanations than the books in some cases, and short-cuts for topics that are hard to memorize.

The downside of Novus Learning is that if you want to get the best discount you have to pay for 80 hours of tutoring in advance. So, I first tried out one hour at the higher rate, and then took the plunge and got the 80 hour package. It worked out well though, since I ended up using a lot more than 80 hours over three years.

06 Aug 2015
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]