View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 May 2018

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Looking for CFA L1 Skype Study Group 

space
I’m looking for an online-based study group for CFA L1 in June 2011, such as Skype, gtalk or Google Group. I remember a while ago I saw someone posted a Google Group for L1 but I forgot its link!

09 Feb 2013
space

space
I would be willing to join too.

09 Feb 2013
space

space
It’s great that we get a few people interested here, but honestly, I’m not sure how we should get it started. Any ideas?
At this point, I think we are all at different stages of studying. I like Anish’s idea that we can discuss our current status, update what we’ve covered last week, etc. That should serve the motivation purpose of a support group.

09 Feb 2013
space

space
Slight mis-understanding im yet to take my June 2011 L1

09 Feb 2013
space

space
Hi Anish… Like to join the call but I don’t have u on Skype. Can u pls add me. My skype ID is heshandemel. Thanks!

09 Feb 2013
space

space
Well we can take as an example the schedule of schweser on-line classes and use it as an example of how to structure the work. I used it when prepare to L1.
Let’s take any topic from listed below and discuss it in a one week time. If somebody has already read that exact SS he or she can read next one or whatever and just repeat the material during the conversation.
What can be the first topic?
I was asking about region of living because of the time when we all would be able to connect with each other. The time difference with US and Europe/Asia is a half of the day.
As I can see there are 4 of us:
mita
NycDank
anish
Vyentil
It would be easier if all of us would tell where he/she is in the material, skype nickname and the preferable/impossible time (Greenwich time) for skype meeting.
As for me I’m at SS 10-11 now (but I skip ethics and FRA). Nickname is Vyentil, it is difficult to meet from 19.00 to 2.00. Other hours are discussable.
And the lust but not least I don’t know the results from my December exam :)
It’s a link to promotion of online class - http://www.schweser.com/cfa/instruction ... online.php
And that is how the schedule is look like:
18.01 Ethical Standards 1,2
25.01 Quantitative Methods 3
1.02 Economics 4
8.02 Financial Reporting and Analysis 5
15.02 Financial Reporting and Analysis 6
22.02 Financial Reporting and Analysis 7
1.03 Corporate Finance 8
8.03 Corporate Finance 9
15.03 Equity 10,11
22.03 Equity 11,12
29.03 Equity I and Alternative Asset Valuation 12,13
5.04 Fixed Income 14
12.04 Fixed Income 15
19.04 Derivatives 16,17
26.04 Derivatives and Portfolio Management 17,18
13.05 Portfolio Management 18

09 Feb 2013
space

space
Right! I got both of u too… Perhaps we can wait till the weekend if someone else wants to join in too and start next week. Though we will need to figure how out what to start with.
I have not touched Ethics yet and plan to do it only at the end since it involves a lot of rote learning too and knowing myself, I would have forgotten everything in four months if I do it now.
I have covered the following once:
SS2, SS3, SS4, SS5 and first few readings of SS7 (on cashflow statements)
Will start with SS6 next week.
Perhaps we can zero in on the topic we want to discuss first once we know who has covered what. I don’t necessarily have to discuss a new topic. I would be glad to revisit something I have already done since it will be a great revision. In fact, anything is fine.
Also, I am following CFA material. I will take Elan/Schweser soon but only as reference material if I get lost in CFA books. What material are you guys following?

09 Feb 2013
space

space
Would like to join too, i am located in Chicago. My skype name: nirachen
Thanks.

09 Feb 2013
space

space
I got friends requests on Skype from Mita and Mr. Goyal. I am following CFA material too. Like Anish, I may use something like Elan but only as reference material if I get lost in CFA books.
I have skype on my Iphone so you will see me as being online. Feel free to call me when you see me live on Skype during the day.
I started on Ethics as I feel I can learn a bit more about what kind of things a CFA charterholder can face in the future….just gets me a bit passionate when I read about those :-). I am flexible too but would like for us to speak about stuff that we have studied already. For example, say in two weeks time, I have finished Ethics and say Economics (as an example), then we can talk about either one of those. Just hard to contribute anything to our discussion if I have not studied it (I think all would understand and agree on this).
Once again, feel free to buzz me on Skype….dont feel shy :-) or proud for that matter :-)
Thanks!

09 Feb 2013
space

space
This sounds like a neat idea. Are you all studying the material in the same order? If so, which subjects have you already covered?

09 Feb 2013
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next